Kids Center is searching for an experienced fundraising professional to serve as the Director of Development. Kids Center provides children with developmental delays and disabilities, from birth to age 21, life-changing therapies to improve their quality of life and to maximize their abilities. We do this through a range of disciplines including physical, occupational, and speech-language therapies. To complement those core services, we offer behavioral health and three specialty clinics – orthopedic, spasticity, and feeding.
The Director of Development serves as part of the leadership team and reports to the Executive Director. The role is responsible for securing funds for the organization by managing donors across the pipeline - from the annual fund to mid-level to major gifts to planned gifts to event sponsorships- assuring that as many supporters and partners as possible are retained as continuing donors and are upgraded in their giving and involvement. Developing new relationships into donors and sponsors is also important to this role.
Major & Planned Gifts
Approximately 30% of time will be devoted to managing a caseload of qualified donors (about 45-50 individuals). Speak with donors about their estate plans and steward those who have already made a planned gift. Ensure lead generation for planned giving is executed as part of the annual communications calendar.
Approximately 40% of time will be devoted to managing donors and executing an annual giving solicitation strategy that seeks to retain and increase donor support. This includes acquisition and retention through a direct response program (one-to-many) and cultivating mid-level donors with a one-to-some strategy, potentially transitioning onto the major gift caseload.
Approximately 15% of time devoted to securing matching gifts for fundraising events, in collaboration with the Executive Director, overseeing donor connections, and event fundraising strategies and sponsorships.
Approximately 15% of time spent on updating contact reports in Raiser’s Edge to record moves with donors/funders and leading the Marketing & Development team (Manager of Communications and Marketing, Events Manager, and Grants Manager) to meet organizational goals and ensure cohesiveness among department.
• Qualify a group of caseload donors, segmenting them into major gifts, planned gifts and annual fund.
• Create a communication and solicitation plan for each person and entity on major gift caseload. This plan should be based on the donor’s/entity’s passions, interests, history of giving, and potential.
• Oversee the Manager of Marketing & Communications, Events Manager, and Grants Manager to meet departmental objectives.
• Collaborate with the Executive Director to secure sponsorships and matching gifts for fundraising events.
• Collaborate with the Board on development efforts and help facilitate the activities and participation of the fundraising/development committee.
• Work with program staff to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals, and asks that will be used to secure gifts.
• Create reports as required by Executive Director that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
• Perform other donor activities as may be required.
• Ability to qualify caseload donors and segment into categories based on their giving and their potential.
• Ability to create and execute a personal contact and ask plan that considers the donor’s/funder’s interest, motivations, giving patterns, and ask preferences.
• Ability to secure project and organization information to create and write effective offers, proposals, and asks.
• Ability to secure information that can be sent back to donors to report on how their money was used.
• Ability to create timely reports, as required, that reflect caseload performance.
• Ability to manage relationships, deadlines, and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures and ability to get along with peers, management, and maintain a positive attitude while solving problems.
• Ability to protect the mission, goals, and values of Kids Center.
· Board Support: Working with the board, the Director serves as the liaison to the Board fundraising/development committee and prepares development progress reports, statements, dashboards, and analytic reports as required by the Executive Director and/or Board of Directors. The Development Director assists the Executive Director in preparing for committee meetings and meetings of the board as required.
· Familiarity of the organization and its needs, sufficient to know when others in the organization should be involved in addressing organizational challenges.
· Critical Thinking: Able to make substantial contributions on behalf of a project in matters of complex planning and coordination, including organizational strategic planning and formation of cross-departmental project teams.
· Decision Making: Assumes significant leadership responsibility to develop and execute organizational strategy, mission, vision with organization-wide impact
· Leadership/Management: Ability to lead a team and projects in the pursuit of organizational goals with integrity, selflessness, and perseverance. Leads a team consisting of the Events Manager, Manager of Marketing & Communications, and Grants Manager.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of five years of fundraising experience or closely related area
• Proven ability to cultivate, solicit, and steward gifts at the 5-, 6- and 7-figure range
• Demonstrated success of building meaningful relationships
• Proven success with developing and securing community partners and sponsorships
• Excellent speaking and writing abilities
• Accustomed to goal setting and achievement
• Proficiency in MS Office suite
• Experience in Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM
• Pass criminal background check and drug test
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule at times to accommodate the demands of the position, including weekend and evening hours. Local travel expected.
• Salary commensurate with qualifications/experience
• Comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, life insurance, short & long term disability insurance, 401k retirement plan, and generous paid days off
• Work in a family orientated, positive environment
• Professional development support
Please submit your resume, letter of interest, and three professional references to email@example.com
Kids Center is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The Kids Center encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal history, and veteran status.